Friday, February 24, 2012

Craft Ideas, Part 1: sandwich bags

From time to time, I'll get ambitious and "get my craft on" and I've decided to use my next several posts to chronicle those random spurts of creativity. This one describes my latest project: reusable sandwich bags.




My friend Lori bought some of these bags at the Container Store and brought them to me to see if I could make them. The trickiest part was coming up with the right fabric for the inside. It needed to be washable and able to keep the sandwich fresh. (Think insulated lunch bags.) I bought a fabric shower curtain liner to cut up for the inside and various cotton fabrics for the outside.


I cut each piece in an identical 15" X 6" rectangle with one end rounded. I asked my sister to serge around the fabrics to keep them together and keep them from fraying. (You could use the zigzag stitch on a regular sewing machine, if needed.)



Then I folded the serged piece with about 3 inches of the rounded end sticking up and sewed the sides. I added about 2 inches of velcro so that the bag can stay closed and Voila! I was done.



It was super simple and cheap to make. We just turn them inside-out if they're crummy and throw them in the washing machine (eventually). They stack so much easier than Tupperware and are pretty darn adorable.



Next up: Super Hero Muscle Shirt...

No comments:

Post a Comment